Sunday, March 18, 2007

Composting-turning waste into life


For the past 15 years I have been involved in researching and creating compost. I have seen large municipal and sewage sludge composting facilities, and turned or let rot my own compost piles. I have dreamed and hoped that composting would solve our worlds garbage problems, and have been brought to earth in realizing life is not that simple. Aside from my laboratory work, most of my personal observations have not been documented, I have been enjoying the experience of learning and relearning, observing and thinking. But it seems time to begin to take quantifiable action. It has and continues to be a fascinating journey.

This blog is an attempt to relate my failures and successes with composting toilets I have made or purchased.

I am presently working with Carol Steinfeld to develop a site specific 55 gal plastic barrel batch composter. This setup will use a urine diverting toilet with a direct path to the barrel below. I will not use a net since I will hopefully not have to focus on high evaporation levels.

I will try to document steps along the way, but sometimes as I get focused on construction, I forget documentation.


Please add comments/questions -criticisms are welcome

No comments: